Elizabeth K. Hawthorne,
Ph.D. in Computer Information Systems - 2006
Nova Southeastern University
Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
member of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, international honor society in the
computing sciences, at Nova Southeastern University
Chiro-informatics©: Towards a Semantic Web
Health Record and Ontology for Coordination of Patient Information between Chiropractic and Allopathic Physicians
Masters of Science Degree in Management Systems Analysis
Union, New Jersey
Bachelor of Science
Degree in Decision Science and Computers
Bachelor of Science Degree in Management Science
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
CISSP, Certified Information Systems Security Professional - September
recertified September 2006, September 2009, September 2012
International Standard for Information Security - (ISC)2
Senior Professor of Computer Science
Union County College
September 1998 – present
Teach/taught on-campus, online and hybrid credit courses in C++ programming, computer
algorithms, data structures, computer operating systems, information systems, systems analysis &
design, computer applications, and Web & multimedia design.
· Developed online computer science and computer information systems courses.
Serve as co-coordinator of New Faculty Orientation
and served as a faculty mentor for Scholars program.
· Serve on various faculty and college-wide committees. Chair faculty
elections committee, sabbatical review committee, Distance Education Council.
Serve as E-Secretary and Corresponding Secretary on Faculty Executive Committee.
Serve as Webmaster for the Union County College
Manager of Academic Information Technologies
Union County College
April 1994 – August 1998
* Collaborate with the Academic Technology Committee to prepare a three-year technology plan for the integration of information technologies into all curricula.
* Supervised staff of ten audio/visual and computer support personnel.
* Supervise Academic Technology Consultant and Multimedia Consultant positions.
* Designed and established a Faculty and Staff Computing Resource Centers (FSCRC) and
a Self Directed Learning Center (SDLC).
* Co-created of on-line
virtual tour of FSCRC using Macromedia Director and Shockwave.
* Coded first Home Page for Union County College and currently serve as webmaster.
* Developed and conducted week-long training workshop on storyboarding, multimedia authoring, and instructional design.
* Train and support faculty in the design, storyboarding and development of discipline specific multimedia software applications using Multimedia ToolBook II, PODIUM, Microsoft PowerPoint 97, NetObjects Team Fusion and Microsoft FrontPage
* Train and advise faculty in the adaptation of curricula and teaching approaches for interactive television and World Wide Web delivery of distance education.
* Designed and implemented high bandwidth, fiber optic network for the delivery of full motion digitized video and digital audio.
* Provide technical support for IBM ThinkPad and Toshiba notebook computers.
* Provide technical support for Silicon Graphics, Power Macintosh and PC software and hardware in the FSCRC.
* Serve as campus representative on Wide Area Multimedia Task Force for New Jersey Intercampus Network (NJIN).
* Edit and electronically publish departmental newsletter (The Hawk Herald) quarterly.
* Attend professional conferences and disseminate acquired knowledge.
Director of Instructional Technology & adjunct computer science instructor
Lehigh Carbon Community College
August 1991- April 1994 (April 1994 - August 1994 Consultant)
* Provided administrative oversight and budget planning for instructional technology implementation.
* Organized, scheduled, and supervised college-wide, multi-campus computer labs.
* Promoted the use of educational technology and other electronic media in classroom instruction.
* Authored technology section of Title III U.S. Federal grant.
* Authored and administered National Science Foundation grant for Internet connection.
* Managed technology section of Eisenhower grant.
* Served as primary contact person for all computer vendors.
* Taught introductory computer sciences courses with Pascal programming.
Physicians Computer Network, an IBM Business Partner
Laurence Harbor, NJ
February 1989 - August 1991
* Supervised coding, testing, and training of in-house customer support representatives and field instructors.
* Designed and developed software application for the submission of secure electronic medical claims direct to carriers and through GTE’s clearing house network.
* Analyzed hardware and software requirements.
* Wrote technical and instructional documentation.
UNION COUNTY COLLEGE COMMITTEES AND ACTION TEAMS
Faculty Elections Committee (Chair, 2000 - 2006)
Faculty Sabbatical Committee (2004 - 2005; Chair, 2005 - 2007)
· Cultural and Educational Programs Advisory Committee - CEPAC (Web maestro
1999 - 2006)
Head of Systems and Technical Services Librarian Search Committee
Head of Reference Librarian Search Committee
Director of Libraries Search Committee (2003)
Technical Services Librarian Search Committee
Library Renovation Committee (2001 - 2002)
Advisory Council for Assessment of Prior Learning (founding member 2001 –
Academic Learning Centers Liaison Committee (Chair 1999, 2000)
Faculty Resource Committee (1998-2000)
Teaching, Learning and Technology Roundtable (Co-Chair, 1997-1999)
Web Site Organization Action Team (Organizer, 1998)
Web Policy (Chair, 1996)
Copyright Action Team
Remote Access Action Team
Academic Technology Committee
Assistant Director of Libraries Search
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS and ACTIVITIES
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
· ACM Two Year College Education Committee
(appointed position since 2000)
· Institute of Electrical
and Electronics Engineers Steering Committee for the development of
undergraduate Software Engineering computing curricula (appointed position)
Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers Computer Society (IEEE)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Communication Society (IEEE)
IEEE Women in Engineering
ACM Special Interest Group, Computer Science Education (SIGCSE)
ACM Special Interest Group, Security, Audit, and Control (SIGSAC)
Association of Community Colleges dissemination team for the Role of
Community Colleges in Educating the Cybersecurity Workforce (AACC)
· Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) at Nova Southeastern University,
international honor society for the computing sciences
Exam supervisor for ISC2 information security certification
COURSES TAUGHT (online and on campus)
CSC 101: Computer Algorithms
CSC 102: Data Structures
CSC 126: Computer Operating Systems
CSC 217: Advanced C++ Programming
CIS124: Web & Multimedia
CIS101: Principles of Information Systems
CIS100: Computer Applications
202: Systems Analysis and Design
Introduction to HTML
Introduction to Pascal programming
Introduction to the Internet
Searching Strategies for the Internet
DOCTORAL COURSES AT NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY
|· Multimedia Systems
||· Project in Multimedia Systems (produced CD-ROM entitled Faculty Orientation to Library Resources and Services at Union County
|· Human Computer Interaction
||· Project in Human Computer Interaction (Web site useability)
|· Artificial Intelligence
||· Project in Artificial Intelligence (Handwriting recognition using a
|· Information Security
||· Project in Information Security (Security for the wireless Web)
|· Software Engineering
||· Computer Graphics in C language
|· Electronic Commerce
||· Database Systems
2006. Completed doctoral
dissertation in computer information systems from Nova Southeastern University.
2005. Programming with Alice
workshop. Association for Computing Machinery SIG conference in Computer Science
Education, St. Louis, MO.
2004. Chautauqua short courses in networking and security. University of
Dayton, Dayton, OH.
2004. WebTycho Training course for
distance education faculty. University of Maryland, Adelphi, MD.
· 2003. CISSP training. Backbone Security and East Stroudsburg University, East
The Role of Community Colleges in Cybersecurity Education. A workshop sponsored
by The American Association of Community Colleges and The National Science
Foundation, Washington, D.C.
· 2001. Portfolio Assessment training, Union County College, Cranford, NJ.
· 1997. AAHE Teaching, Learning and Technology Roundtable Summer Institute, Phoenix, AZ.
· 1996. Queensborough Community College, "Technology Instruction for the 21st Century," The City University of New York.
· 1995. University of North Carolina "Authoring in Multimedia ToolBook," Institute for Academic Technology.
· 1993. University of Dayton, Ohio, "The 1990 Census: A Resource for Undergraduate Teaching and Research," Chautauqua Short Course.
Poster accepted, "Activities of the ACM Two-Year
College Education Committee." ACM Eleventh Annual Conference on Innovation
and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), Bologna, Italy, June 26 -
Poster presentation, "Curricular Projects of the ACM Two-Year
College Education Committee." ACM Tenth Annual Conference on Innovation
and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), Lisbon, Portugal, June 26
- 29, 2005.
"Activities of the ACM Two-Year College Education Committee." ACM SIG Computer Science Education
international conference, St. Louis, MO, February 25, 2005.
"Curricula Projects of the ACM Two-Year College Education
Committee." ACM SIG Computer Science Education international conference,
Norfolk, VA, March 5, 2004.
of the Community College in Educating the Cybersecurity Workforce."
Proceedings of the 8th annual conference on Innovation and technology in computer
Thessaloniki, Greece, June 30 - July 2, 2003.
“A Forum for discussing the
state of Two-Year College Curricular Initiatives related to Computer Security
and Data Assurance” roundtable discussion – 10th National ATE
Principal Investigators conference co-sponsored by the National Science
Foundation and the American Association of Community Colleges, Washington DC,
October 24, 2003.
"The Role of the Community College in Educating the
Cybersecurity Workforce." ACM SIG Computer Science Education
international conference, Reno, NV, February 13, 2003.
Applications and Technology of Wireless Handheld Computing in an Academic
Environment" - College Reading and Learning Association, Philadelphia
University, Philadelphia, PA, March 14, 2003.
Role of the Community College in Educating the Cybersecurity Workforce" panel
discussion - American Association of Community College's (AACC) annual
convention, Dallas, Texas, April 5 - 8, 2003.
Role of the Community College in Educating the Cybersecurity Workforce"
presentation - SUNY Fact Conference for Instructional Technology (Cit),
Postdam, NY, May 29, 2003.
· "Online Course Showcase" - Technology in Teaching
Conference, Union County College, Cranford,
NJ, October 13, 2001.
· "Digital Sound Bytes" - Mathematics Association of Two Year
Colleges in New Jersey (MATYCNJ), Raritan Valley Community College, October
· "Toward the Virtual Library: Orienting Faculty to Library Resources and Services" - New Jersey Library Association, East Brunswick, NJ, April 28, 2000.
· "Undergraduate Research and Scholars Program at Union County
College" - 1st Annual Spring Conference of the NJ/PA Chapter of the
College Reading and Learning Association, Rider University, Lawrenceville,
NJ, April 7, 2000.
· "The Newest Challenges of Learning Centers: On-line
Tutoring" - 15th Annual Conference of Mid-Atlantic Council of Tutorial
Coordinators (MACTC), Plainfield, NJ, March 17, 2000.
· "Digital Audio Technology" - Professional Development Workshop, Union County College,
February 28, 2000.
· "Toward the Virtual Library: Orienting Faculty and Transforming the Curriculum" - League for Innovation in the Community
College, Chicago, IL, October 23, 1999.
· "Comparison of Synchronous/Asynchronous Internet Conferencing Tools," Academic Technology Committee, Union County College, April 1, 1998.
· "Development and Application of Virtual Anatomy and Physiology Laboratory Experiences" - League for Innovation in the Community College, Atlanta, GA, October 14, 1997.
· "Developing Virtual Laboratory Exercises for Anatomy and Physiology Students"-Slice of Life Workshop on Interactive Multimedia and Technology in Health Education,University of Chicago and University of Utah, Chicago, IL, June 27, 1997.
· "Developing Virtual Laboratory Exercises for Anatomy and Physiology Students"- Faculty Development Network of New Jersey, Bloomfield College, Bloomfield, NJ, April 11, 1997.
· "Web Page Development"- Association of New Jersey Community College Continuing Education Administrators, February 6, 1997.
· "Presentation Technology in the Classroom" - New Jersey Library Association, Union County College, Cranford, NJ, April 3, 1996.
· "Enhancing Content-Based Instruction with Faculty-Authored Multimedia Software"- MATSOL, Clark University, Worcester, MA, October 19, 1996.
· "Instructional Technology: Getting Our Act Together"-Union County College Professional Development Committee, Cranford, Elizabeth and Plainfield, NJ, October 22 and 23, 1996 (using the county interactive television, fiber optic network).
· "On the Learning Curve: Developing Multimedia for Allied Health Instruction "- League for Innovation in the Community College, Phoenix, AZ, November 14, 1996.
· "Enhancing Content-Based Instruction with Faculty-Authored Multimedia Software"- NYSTESOL, Saratoga Springs, NY, November 23, 1996.
· "Using Faculty-Developed Multimedia to Enhance Content-Based Language Instruction"- League for Innovation in the Community College, Kansas City, MO, November 7, 1995.
· "Bridging between Technical and Academic Areas: From Lectures to Hands-on Small Group Experiences using Computers"- League for Innovation in the Community College, Nashville, TN, November 15, 1993.
Guidelines for Associate-Degree Transfer Curricula in Computer Engineering.
ACM Two-Year College
Education Committee. December 2006.
Guidelines for Associate-Degree Transfer Curricula in Software Engineering.
ACM Two-Year College
Education Committee. August 2005.
Guidelines for Associate-Degree Curricula in Information Systems.
ACM Two-Year College
Education Committee. March 2004.
Computing Curricula 2003: Guidelines for Associate-Degree Curricula
in Computer Science. ACM Two-Year College Education Committee and the Joint
Task Force on Computing Curricula IEEE Computer Society. December 2002.
with Robert Campbell, Associate Vice President of Information Technology
Services at Rock Valley College in Illinois.
Cybersecurity Education in Community College Across America: A Survey of
Four Approaches by Five Institutions. A workshop sponsored by The American
Association of Community Colleges and the National Science Foundation. June 26 -
28, 2002. Washington, D.C.
with Corinne Smith, Director of Union County College Libraries.
Toward the Virtual Library: Orienting Faculty and
Transforming the Curriculum. Exemplary Practices from the Conference on
Information Technology. 2000. Chicago, IL.
The Hawk Herald, quarterly newsletter of the Information Technologies Department at Union County College, January 1995 to October 1998.
review of Senior Years:
Understanding Your Dog's Aging Process, The Dachshund Review #1, 1993, page 67.
2000 - 2003
ACM SIG Computer Science Education International conference, February 2003,
WebCT Impact Conference and Workshops, July 2002, Boston, MA.
and Wireless Internet World conference, February 2002, New York, NY.
· Internet World Wireless, February 2001, New York, NY.
· Internet World, October (moved to December) 2001, New York, NY.
Internet World, October 2000, New York, NY.
E-Book Conference, November 2000, New York, NY.
1999 International Symposium on Technology and Society, Women and Technology: Historical, Societal, and Professional Perspectives presented by the IEEE Society on the Social Implications of Technology, the IEEE History Center at Rutgers University, and the IEEE Women in Engineering Committee, New Brunswick, NJ, July.
Information Literacy, Library Research & the Internet, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Web-Based Teaching & Learning Institute, March.
Internet World ‘99, New York, New York, October.
· League for Innovation in the Community College (presenter), Chicago, IL, October.
1997 and 1998
14th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning - University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, WI.
· OnLine Technology Conference (TCON 98) - University of Hawaii.
College Board Conference, "Instructional Technology and the Adult Student: Options for Delivering On-Line Courses" - Washington D.C.
National OnLine Meeting- New York, New York.
Internet World ‘98 – New York, New York.
1995 and 1996
Infocomm - Philadelphia, PA.
UNIX Expo - New York, New York.
Software Authoring Systems - New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ.
Teaching with Technology in Higher Education - Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ.
Sixth Annual West Chester University Technology Symposium - West Chester, PA
· 11th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning - University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, WI
1992 through 1994
· League for Innovation in the Community College, Houston, TX
· NECC - Boston, MA
· Internet World ‘94 - Washington DC
· League for Innovation in the Community College - San Diego, CA
1997 and 1998
· "Putting Your Course OnLine"
· "Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia"
· "Telecommunications Act of 1996"
· "Am I a Crook: Internet and Digital Media Copyright"
· "Using the Web to Enhance the Classroom"
· "Using Interactive Media and Web-based Marketing Effectively"
1995 and 1996
· "Communicating Electronically"
· "Authoring of Class Content and Concepts in Distance Learning"
WEB PAGE RESEARCH
1996 and 1997
· Princeton Response Analysis Group, Princeton, New Jersey
PROGRAMMING, SCRIPTING, and AUTHORING LANGUAGES
Allen Communications Designer’s Edge 3.0 and Quest 6.0
· Asymetrix Multimedia ToolBook and ToolBook II
Macromedia Authorware, Director, and Shockwave
University of Delaware’s PODIUM
Rational Rose UML (Unified Modeling Language)
· Macromedia Web Design Studio
, Flash , Fireworks , and
· Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev
· Microsoft FrontPage 98, 2000 & 2002 for Web site design and publishing
· Microsoft Office 2000 and XP: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook
· Microsoft NetMeeting and Internet Explorer
· Netscape Communicator Standard
· Adobe Acrobat for PDF files
· Adobe Premiere for digital video editing
· Asymetrix Digital Video Producer for digital video editing
|· Asymetrix 3D/FX for animation
Firestarter for vector graphic animation
· Adobe Photoshop for graphics
· Ulead Media Suite for digital video and audio editing and creation
· Sonic Foundry Sound Forge
XP 4.5 and 5.0 for digital audio editing and creation
· Visio Professional for software design and network diagrams
· Corel Draw and Photo Paint for graphics
· PaintShop Pro for graphics
· ESS Technologies for digital audio editing
· Real Audio for streaming digital audio over the Internet
· Real Video G2 for streaming digital video over the Internet
· Cu-See-Me for video conferencing over the Internet
· Silicon Graphics Indigo 2 Media Tools suite for digital video, graphics, and audio editing
· AIX 2.0 (IBM's UNIX)
· IRIX 5.3 (Silicon Graphics' UNIX)
· VMS 6.2 (DEC VAX)
· Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0, 2000, XP
· Windows 95, 98, and Millennium
· Windows 3.x
· Windows CE
& PocketPC 2002 & Windows Mobile
· Palm O/S
· Mac O/S 7.x, 8.x, 9.x
· DOS all versions
This page was lasted updated by
Dr. E K Hawthorne on
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 07:51 AM